The problem occurs when your CD player displays an error message saying The cd player has stopped reading discs.
This message is usually accompanied by other error messages such as Unable to read disc, The cd player was unable to read disc, or The cd player has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.
These error messages can occur if the CD tray is close, the CD lens is dirty or clogged, or if the CD lens came off.
In this article, we will show you how to troubleshoot the problem.
- Reading a CD player stopped reading discs is an issue with CD drives, which can be fixed easily.
- To fix this problem, some users reported that running the built-in troubleshooter worked.
- Others had success fixing this problem after updating to the latest device drivers.
Perform a Clean Install of Windows
- Boot into the Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key while booting into the Windows.
- Go to Start > type msconfig > launch System Configuration.
- Click on the Services tab > select Hide all Microsoft services > click on the Disable all button.
- Now, click on the Startup tab > uncheck all programs except Microsoft services > click on Disable all.
- Restart your computer.
- After installation, try to play your CD/DVDs and check if the issue is resolved.
Replace the CD drive
- If the CD drive is not reading discs, then you need a new CD drive.
- Replace the optical drive with a new one.
- If the old optical drive was working properly, then the new drive is also not working.
- Hence, you need to replace the drive.
Copy the Xbox game to another drive
- Remove the disc from the Xbox
Insert the disc into the Xbox again
- Try a different disc
- Update the Xbox
- Update your Xbox drive
- Try another Xbox
- Try another drive
Use a different CD drive
- It’s always possible that your CD drive is faulty. If possible, try replacing it.
- Check CD/DVD drive properties
Right-click on the CD drive icon in the File Explorer window and select Properties.
- Go to the Hardware tab and you may see a message saying that the optical drive is not working properly.